Monday, October 19, 2015

Letter from Indians in Newspaper

Monday, October 31, 1887

Dear Mama,

I was sitting in The P.K. Saloon waiting for my meal, when I saw a couple of Indians walking around. I could tell looking through the window they were Crows because most of is whites acknowledged them. Some I noticed had white wives, which i had never seen before and was confused. Whites and Indians are starting to get together? What? Sometimes I wonder how the Indians came to so much fortune, but others I just try to ignore them and not stare. Later that day after getting off from my shift at the lumber yard, I hurried home, but on the way home witnessed the Indians doing something very strange. "Wrapping the deceased in blankets and buffalo robes and fastening them to forks on the tree". I sat and watched for a while, until I got a whiff of an unbearable odor and hurried away. I read earlier in the local newspaper that Chiefs of the Crows Indians are becoming deceased, which was probably the reason for this smell. This was very weird sight for me to see and I didn't realize any of this was happening in this city, I call home. To everyone else the Indians are starting to seem more as friends than foes here in Hailey, Idaho, which has changed a lot. I feel that times have changed a lot because they are shaping our community into a better society.

Miss you,
Bill


File:Crow Indian Chiefs. Captured at Custer Battlefield, Montana, Nov.7th and imprisoned at Ft. Snelling, Minn. Nov. 15th... - NARA - 533058restoredh.jpg
Crow Indians

5 comments:

  1. Overall I liked your letter but you need a picture at the end to show what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has a really authentic and serious tone to it! I also like that you made letter written on Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was good letter! I liked it. You had a couple of typos, but other than that I really like what Bill was noticing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Whiff not wife haha. Otherwise it was good and straight to the point. The story actually makes sense and is realistic.

    ReplyDelete